Skip to Content
Helping Clients Throughout Los Angeles & the Surrounding Areas | Fluent In A Number of Languages
Call Us Today! 818-276-9900
I-485 Adjustment of Status

What is I-485 Adjustment of Status?

Call Our Los Angeles Immigration Lawyers for Help With Consular Processing

Adjustment of status is the method a foreign national can use to become a lawful permanent resident while they are currently living in the U.S. This process in an alternative method to obtaining an immigrant visa, which is usually done through a U.S. consulate while the individual is abroad. This is referred to as consular processing.

At Arnaout Immigration Law Firm, our immigration attorneys in Los Angeles are backed by years of collective experience. If you are an individual seeking permanent resident status, it is imperative to speak with skilled lawyers beforehand. Working with an attorney can make the process of obtaining a green card as simple as possible!

Need help with the I-485 application? Contact our immigration attorneys in Los Angeles online or call (818) 276-9900. Our services are available in English, Arabic, Cebuano, Spanish, and Tagalog. Reach out today!

Which Is Faster: Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing?

Depending on processing times at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, adjustment of status can be more effective and the preferred option for immigrants for several reasons:

  • Some immigrants prefer adjustment of status because it:
  • Avoids expenses and inconvenient travel times back to homeland
  • Applicants are able to gain employment authorization
  • Applicants have permission to travel while process is pending
  • Employment-based applicants can obtain job mobility benefits
  • There are more alternatives should an application be denied by USCIS

Who Qualifies for Adjustment of Status?

If you are an immigration who is seeking to adjust your status, certain requirements must be met before filing an Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status (Form I-485).

To be eligible for adjustment of status you must:

  • Be physically present in the United States
  • Have legally entered the United States

Exceptions to this is if you entered the U.S. as an abused spouse or child per the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).

How Do I Apply for Adjustment of Status?

If you are eligible for adjustment of status via family or employer petition, then you may start your green card application. Below is a guideline on the application process, however, it is important to speak with an adjustment of status lawyer beforehand. At Arnaout Immigration Law Firm, our immigration attorneys in Los Angeles are backed by years of experience and are prepared to guide you or answer any of your questions during the process.

To apply for adjustment of status you must:

  • File an immigrant petition and green card application. Typically the petition is filed for you by your family or employer.
  • Confirm visa availability for your category with USCIS. There is a limit to the number of visas available and you may not file Form I-485 until there is availability.
  • File the Firm I-485. Some categories may require additional forms.
  • After filing, you will receive an email regarding a biometrics appointment, where you will provide a photo, fingerprints, and/or specimen signature. This is for verifying your identity.
  • If applicable in your situation, you may be required to attend an interview. Bring all original documentation with you.
  • Wait for a final decision from USCIS.

After your application is approved, you will receive a permanent resident card or green card in the mail. If it is not approved, you will receive a decline letter that explains why it was denied and whether you may appeal the decision.

Need to Adjust Your Status? Call Arnaout Immigration Law Firm at (818) 276-9900

If you need to adjust your status for family or employment in the U.S., turn to Arnaout Immigration Law. Our immigration lawyers in Los Angeles have years of experience and are ready to help you. Start by requesting a consultation at (818) 276-9900. Do not hesitate to reach out! We offer services in English, Arabic, Cebuano, Spanish, and Tagalog.

Have questions about adjusting your immigration status? Call (818) 276-9900 to speak with a Los Angeles immigration attorney at Arnaout Immigration Law Firm.